LAUNCH COMPLEX 14 FACT SHEET
By Cliff Lethbridge
Aerial View Of Launch Complex 14 Circa 2018
Configuration: Single Blockhouse, One Launch Pad
LAUNCH PAD 14
Current Status: Inactive
First Launch: June 11, 1957
Final Launch: November 11, 1966
Number of Launches: 32
Vehicles Launched: Atlas A, Atlas B, Atlas D, Atlas-Able, Atlas-Agena A, Mercury-Atlas, Atlas-Agena D
Launch Complex 14 was one of four launch complexes built in support of Atlas missile testing. The complex was built at a cost of about $4.3 million. Construction began in January, 1956 with acceptance by the Air Force in January, 1957.
It was modified to support the launching of Atlas-based space launch vehicles. It was the launch site of astronaut John Glenn, the first American to orbit Earth. After the close of the NASA Mercury Program, Launch Complex 14 was used in support of the NASA Gemini Program, as the launch site of the Gemini Target Vehicles employed during manned Gemini missions.
Although the Launch Complex 14 service tower was destroyed, the concrete ramp and launch pedestal remain intact. The launch pad acted as a storage site for toxic hydrazine fuel for many years, and was totally off limits. Once the hydrazine fuel facility was removed, the launch hardware was made accessible. A permanent Mercury memorial was placed at the bottom end of the concrete ramp near the launch pad. The Launch Complex 14 blockhouse was renovated and currently acts as a conference center. Launch Complex 14 was declared a National Historic Landmark in April, 1984.
Atlas-Agena D On Launch Pad 14 Circa 1966
Aerial View Of Launch Complex 14 Circa 1963
Aerial View Of Launch Complex 14 Circa 1990
Mercury-Atlas On Launch Pad 14 Circa 1959
Aerial View Of Launch Pad 14 Circa 1956
Construction Of Launch Complex 14 Service Tower Circa 1956
Aerial View Of Launch Complex 14 Circa 1956
Launch Complex 14 Pad Access Ramp Construction Circa 1956
Construction Of Launch Complex 14 Blockhouse Circa 1956
Launch Complex 14 Construction Circa 1956